i love our local salvation army thrift store. this summer bella and i went at least once a week. it was on one of our trips that i spotted this beauty:
i know, i know... a little rough, right? but it had me at the claw-shaped feet, and all the elegant arches&curves and carved flower detail. nick needed a little convincing, but i knew with a little love&care this dresser would be just the piece i was hoping for.
here's what i did:
- i removed all hardware and set aside. one of the top handles was missing, so i knew i needed two replacement knobs for the top drawer. the other handles i kept because i loved their vintage feel, and they would be *perfect* with a coat of white spray paint.
- i sanded it down with a sandpaper block and used one coat of kilz spray primer to ensure the paint would stick (the top of the dresser was veneer).
- better homes & gardens "buttercream" paint was the color we used for our kitchen. not a huge fan of the quality of the paint, but i loved the color especially for this dresser. i loved it's yellow color, but it needed a facelift and to be brightened up a bit. and the "buttercream" shade went perfectly with our robin-egg-blue living room walls.
- i spraypainted the antique drawer pulls and found two vintage-y crystal knobs that i already had on hand (i am a huge fan of crystal knobs!). screwed in my new drawer pulls and i was immediately in love with my new dresser-slash-tv stand.
voila!


we use the drawers to store cables and remotes as well as a few blankets and dvd's. the size is perfect for our tv and i love the antique look it adds to our living room.


and the best part? the dresser was a mere 30 bucks. what a steal.
i am one happy girl.
this post is linked to these *sweet* blogs:
Nice job, Megan! That's actually the same dresser I had in my bedroom set all growing up!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE it! Repurposing = recycling. Or, in this case, up-cycling!! Great job, Megs!
ReplyDelete~Laines
This is SO pretty! What a perfect yellow. And the knobs are my favorite. You did a really fabulous job, what a great 'new' piece.
ReplyDeletePs--SO happy to be among the places you share this at. :)
Great job! Very pretty
ReplyDeletei love what you've done with this! Well done!
ReplyDeletepretty meg! It is so YOU!! That top drawer is my fav the way the knob nestles in there amongst all those {GORG} carvings! lovely!
ReplyDeleteIt turned out so beautiful, Meg! I love the color and those knobs! I also love the idea of using a dresser as a tv stand! I will probably be doing just that with an old dresser we've got after seeing this post. Thanks so much for sharing! :)
ReplyDeleteLOVE that color and it looks absolutely beautiful Meg! Thank you so much for sharing it with us at Inspiration Friday this week!
ReplyDeleteVanessa
You can never have too many dressers, is my motto. And mixing up drawer pulls is always fun to me. The idea of using a dresser as a TV stand is something I just might copy. This week I went to Sherwin Williams to make sure the colors I'd used in my TX home are still in stock. Yes!! And I picked another color to go with the pallet I already liked. Of course, I don't have my own place, but when i do get one, now I have all my colors picked out. I sold my TV and entertainment center, so will use one of my current bureaus or have to get another used one. My favorite shop (Repeat) in Houston is too far away, so now I need to find a new (really OLD) supplier.
ReplyDeleteYou inspire me.