Tuesday, June 7, 2011

a vintage garden party.

i love birthdays. when i was growing up, my mom always made our birthdays so special. she made all of our cakes; i have many memories of barbie dolls with skirts made of pink frosting, and rocking horses with licorice-whip-reigns.

i'd been looking forward to bella's first birthday party for months! i knew exactly what i wanted to do: a vintage garden party. lots of flowers, lace, jars&bottles and vintage-y decorative paper. i found images of this sweet lil party on my google searching, which provided the inspiration for bella's party. because of budget constraints, i stuck to just a few sweet treats for our guests, and handmade everything from the decorations, to the cake, to the homemade cake ball pops. it was a lot of work, but really enjoyable, and oh-so-fun.

my friend, amanda, of {aka}photography (see our images on the side of my blog... amazing, right?!) asked if she could take some photos to capture the special day. i was happy to oblige :)


the table

silver platters for frosted sugar cookies (dollar tree, $1 each)
pink cherry blossom branches/pussywillows (joanns, $8 with coupon)
lace tablecloth (borrowed from mother-in-law)
square white paper plates, napkins, plastic forks (dollar tree, $1 each)
paper doilies (dollar tree, $1 each)
wine bottles and jars for candy and flowers (washed out jam & spaghetti sauce jars, free!)
flag bunting: scrapbook paper & ribbon (hobby lobby, $12)
mod podged tray for centerpiece: scrapbook paper, mod podge and an old wooden tray (all on hand, free!)


i made these blossom branches out of branches i found at a park and my in-laws yard. i washed out old wine bottles and made "blossoms" out of scrapbook paper and tissue paper. placed on paper doilies i purchased at the dollar store, i loved these sweet branches!


i made this photo bunting by making the traditional flags out of scrapbook paper and ribbon and then took mini clothespins and pinned the pictures to the ribbon. nick&i took pictures of bella at each month in her crib, so this was like a decorative timeline :)


i made this rosette "b" for bella by cutting a b out of foamboard and making what-seemed-like-thousands of rosettes out of pink tissue paper and gluing them on with my trusty gluegun. i hung it on the wall from pink ribbon i hot-glued to the back.


for decor on the gift table, i took some old shudders my friends gave me and pinned various photos of bella throughout her first year using mini clothespins. this kept with the vintage-y theme and served as the perfect showcase for some of our favorite pictures of our sweet pea :)


bella *loves* strawberries, so i made her the yummiest strawberry cake from a paula deen recipe you can find here. i frosted it with storebought whipped cream cheese frosting. i also handmade her cake toppers--paper and fabric flowers i hotglued onto lollipop sticks--and stuck them into the top of her cake.



for quenching our guests thirst, we served pink lemonade in this glass dispenser and ice water served in vintage glass bottles.



i have become a huge.fan.of.cake.balls, so i wanted to try my hand at making cake ball pops. with the help of my friend, amanda (who mastered the dipping!) they came out super cute. i filled a pink basket of bella's with blocks of styrofoam and covered it with moss i purchased at the dollar store (moss for a dollar? yes please!). i stuck the cake ball pops in the styrofoam along with little signs i made on lollipop sticks that read "happy birthday bella grace".



i also handmade cards to label each treat, embellished with ric-rac, ribbon and fabric flowers.



my fav: reeses pieces easter candy! not only are they the best candy everrrr, but they were perfect for bella's party because of the pastel colors. i scored four bags of these on clearance after easter, and filled old crystal bowls and washed out spaghetti sauce & jam jars that i also decorated with scrapbook paper and fabric flowers.


bella had so much fun opening up her presents! including this handpainted stool from her aunt jessica, uncle james & wyatt! soooo special.



i *love* handmade quilts and we have several of them, thanks to nick's grandmother :) i spread them over the floor for people to sit on, and to give a picnic feel.


cake time :)



family shot :) i think in the background you can see our ugly apartment chandelier that hangs over our kitchen table... my girlfriends, amanda and jessica (who are incredibly artistic and creative!) made white tissue poms and covered it up for me... thanks girls! super cute.

perfect birthday! it was such a special, special day with our family and friends. i love having all these photos to capture the memories for bella to look back on. still can't believe she is one. trying to hold on to all of these moments before she is playing with barbies, wanting to drive, or asking me to shop with her for a wedding dress (tear). thankful for the days we've had, and SO excited about the days ahead.

we love you, sweet bella grace!!

this post is linked to these *sweet* blogs:

20 comments:

  1. this is so ridiculously adorable! love all of the sweet details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute! thanks for stopping by my blog and for your comment! I love making new blog friends! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable birthday party! I'd love all this for my own party! Thanks for linking up to Mod Mix Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Meg, Thanks so much for your sweet comment & for linking up this adorable project. I will be featuring it this Friday. {Please feel free to take an "I Was Featured" button from my sidebar!}

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! It looks like you made every detail so special! I especially love the bunting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS - Thank you so much for your sweet sweet comment on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful! I love each and every detail! I will definitely be featuring this Friday night! Thank you so much for linking up! :) Have a wonderful week!
    Crystal
    Homemaker in Heels

    ReplyDelete
  8. How elegant and beautiful. You really thought of everything. Super sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad that you stopped by my blog, because now I get to check out yours! It is adorable! I am going to follow you & can't wait to see all the cute things you have in store!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is seriously one of the cutest parties I have ever seen! All of the details are just gorgeous...including your precious baby girl.:-)
    I am loving your blog and can't wait to peek around some more. I'm now your newest follower!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a beautiful party!!!....wow....you are so gifted my sweet friend...I Love you

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my goodness Meg...beautiful! I love love love the quilts on the floor...and that beautiful shot of you laughing - you are gorgeous!! Love love love the bunting with her crib pics...you are so deliciously girly!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Meg! Oh, I am sooooo glad you came by and linked this up to our Inspiration Friday party. It is just so darling and needs to be seen! :-)
    Blessings,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful family.

    I would love for you to link it up to my party that is running now. Any linky goes.

    http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/2011/06/any-link-goes-party-running-now-summer.html

    Come strut your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! Beautiful. I recently had a garden soiree myself, but for Memorial Day. Here is a link to a post on it! I'm going to have another for my church choir very soon (I'm the organist...)

    http://www.shabbyfrenchcottage.com/2011/05/outdoor-luxury-bar-b-q-and-finger.html

    ~Mikey @ Shabby French Cottage
    www.shabbyfrenchcottage.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everything is picture perfect! I love that vintage look! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My b-day is in July, you made me want to have a vintage garden party, so pretty.

    Thank you for linking up to Bacon Time. For the first party it was a huge success with over 300 links. I am going to have a special give away next week just for linkers. Thanks for adding my link too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. so beautiful! i am planning a vintage-y first birthday for my daughter too! love your party and ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday! I featured you today, come check it out! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/08/your-whims-wednesday-20-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete