Thursday, November 4, 2010

babies make the best accessories.

wow. i'm on a roll with the ole blog this week. guess i'm trying to write as much as i can so i won't feel behind the rest of the month.
or something like that.

this post is not a recipe or reflection on anything i'm learning spiritually. nor is it a sentimental entry on my sweet little babe or an overview of our family's month. it is merely a "how to" on making one of essential items of early motherhood. i've had many people ask me for directions on how to do this, so here goes.

so one of my mama-must-haves is my wrap. i absolutely *love* it. i had originally registered for a moby wrap which is ridiculously priced at a whopping $50 (for a piece of cloth i'd say that's a little outrageous). i still really wanted it. but i was visiting a friend one day after she had her little bundle and she showed me how she made her own.

boring solid-color moby wrap: $50

fun d.i.y wrap (with hobby lobby coupon): $20
yes, please.

here's what i did:
-joanne's, hobby lobby, any fabric place of your choice has awesome coupons. the one i found for hobby lobby was 40% off a regular priced item. you can sign up for coupons online and print them out, or find them on the stores website. this is your first step in making your oh-so-cheap-and-stylish baby wrap.

-pick out your material. you want to make sure it's a stretchy, jersey type material so that it will work for the wrap.

-you'll need 5.5 yards of fabric.

-cut it in half (the long way...you'll need the strip of fabric to be loooong). you'll have two wraps. this works out perfect to give to a mama friend as well! i was able to send mine to my college bff in chicago, so now we can have matching wraps with our baby girls. so. fun.

-go to http://www.wearyourbaby.com/ to the "video" tab for instructions on how to tie your wrap. there are many different ways and there are other helpful directions on how to make your own wraps and slings!

this really is such a great way to carry your lil one, and bella looooves it (almost as much as i do). when she was a newborn, i would put her in it whenever she got fussy and she would usually fall asleep. i've used it for grocery shopping, around the house to get chores done (when she was newborn), and have traveled on airplanes with her in this twice. soooo handy. and the best part is it keeps them close to you which is really just so precious. love, love, love it. can you tell?? ;)

happy baby wearing. it's true what they say... babies make the best accessories.
(not sure what i mean by "they"... pretty sure i coined this phrase myself. but its true!)

4 comments:

  1. *opens up joanns.com right now! Yay! I actually got a Moby, but when I got home I discovered it was Brown, so I was planning to take it back anyway since I only own 1 single thing that would match it :) I'd much rather spend that money on diapers and make my own! Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remy loves being Bel's wrap twin!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok- I have one of these that one of my friends made me. I loooove the way it looks compared to my boring carrier, but I just can't get myself to bring it everywhere b/c I have such a hard time wrapping it up properly. I always have to adjust. Grrrr. Maybe I just need to suck it up and put in the few extra minutes until I get it figured out. My mom always said you have to suffer to be beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. kel, you crack me up! totally check out that website i put in this post; it helped watching the videos. annnnd i had to practice a few times infront of a mirror. like they always say, practice makes perfect ;)

    ReplyDelete